The Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) builds on Ontario’s position as a global leader in automotive manufacturing and supply in addition to its large cluster of information and communication technology companies.
Through resources such as R&D funding, talent development, technology acceleration, business and technical supports and demonstration grounds, AVIN provides a competitive advantage to Ontario-based connected and autonomous vehicles (C/AV) companies – allowing Ontario to enhance its position as a North American leader in transformative automotive technologies, as well as transportation and infrastructure systems.
AVIN programs focus on supporting the development and demonstration of C/AV technologies, including infrastructure, related to:
- Commercially-ready technologies for application in mass light-vehicles (e.g., cars and trucks, vans)
- Heavy-duty vehicles (including commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, RVs and others used for goods movement)
- Transportation infrastructure
- Intelligent transportation systems (ITS)
- Transit supportive systems and vehicles in Ontario.
AVIN is supported by the Ontario Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science (MRIS), the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Growth (MEDG) and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) and administered by Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE).
AVIN is comprised of a central hub and four distinct programs:
- AV Research and Development (R&D) Partnership Fund
- Talent Development
- Demonstration Zone
- Regional Technology Development Sites.
For more information please visit the Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) website.